Il Palazzo della Prepositura – The Palace of the Provost of Atina

View of the Cathedral and Archbishops Palace in Piazza Marconi Atina Italy

© Philippe Brolet

The palace named Palazzo della Prepositura stands next to the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta. They are both located in the central Piazza Marconi which was formerly known as Piazza San Giovanni in Atina Italy.

photo Archivio Biblioteca di Atina

© Giuseppe Massa

The Palazzo Prepositurale, also known as the Palagio San Marco or hospital was built in the late sixteenth century under the sponsorship of Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio, Duke of Alvito. It was to provide comfortable accommodation to visitors and pilgrims who came to the town on the occasion of the patronal feast of San Marco.   Work began on extending the building in 1598 according to plans that had been drawn up by Giovanni Battista Onofri, Medoro Mancini, and Giovanni Persechini, Rectors of the Confraternity of San Marco. The work was completed in 1600 by Girolamo Tuttinelli and Giocomo di Paolo who were the accountants of the hospital.

In those times, the clergy of Atina was formed of “12 canons, and a head priest, who had decisive authority. In this period the head priest was Antonio Mancino d’Atino, of circa 60 years of age, professor of theology who has already served the illustrious Cardinal Farnese in Rome; he is a kind and well mannered person of the best quality”.

The building  is elongated in shape and is slightly curved, with a vaulted portico held up by eight Roman columns and two outer quadrangular pillars.   It is known locally as Le Pennate.  At one time there were small shops under the arches of the portico.

© Gianpiero Vassalli

 © Gianpiero Vassalli

© Gianpiero Vassalli

photo Archivio Biblioteca di Atina

© Gianpiero Vassalli

© Italo Caira

Italian Heart

Photos have been accredited to the photographer / owner.  Images marked * are in the Public Domain.

Photos marked with  are believed to be in the Public Domain due of their age.

All other photos I have taken myself –  © Louise Shapcott