Church of Santo Stefano Promartire in Settefati Italy © Tonino Bernardelli

photo © Tonino Bernardelli

Churches of Settefrati

The Church of Santo Stefano Promartire

In the higher reaches of the town of Settefrati stands the Church of Santo Stefano Promartire, which was founded in the 10th century but was remodeled during the Baroque era.  The interior is decorated in a Baroque style and contains artistic works of the 19th and 20th centuries. It houses a statue of the Madonna “Bianca” di Canneto. During her festival the statue is carried in a procession to the Sanctuary in Canneto.

Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione

The Church of Santa Maria della Consolazione was built in 1323, according to the inscription AD MCCCXXIII. It was originally dedicated to the Santa Maria della Tribuna. The old church was rebuilt between 1575 and 1633 but later fell into ruin. The current structure dates back to the beginning of the 17th century.

Church of Santa Felicita

The Church of Santa Felicita stands at the entrance of the town, on a site formerly positioned outside the town walls.  A document dating from 1704 gives the original title of the church as  Ecc. Parr. S. Felicita et Septem Fraturum.  In the village of Pietrafitta there is another small chapel dedicated to Santa Felicita.
Church of Santa Felicita in Settefrati Italy © Louise Shapcott

Church of La Madonna delle Grazie

Church of the Madonna delle Grazie in Settefrati Italy © Lauro Appruzese

The Church of La Madonna delle Grazie is also situated just outside the town. It dates back to the second half of the 16th century. In its porch there are beautiful frescoes depicting the Last Judgement and the Afterlife. This is based on the mystical vision a young monk of Montecassino, named  Fra Alberico (born in Settefrati). He dictated his visions from childhood of hell, purgatory and paradise to be transcribed on parchment. According to some scholars, his writings provided a cue for Dante Alighieri’s “Divine Comedy”.

The interior of the church is is divided into three naves. It has a 17th century coffered ceiling of decorative wooden panels (17th/18th century) with the image of the Madonna delle Grazie at its centrepiece. The church houses a work of art depicting the Pentecost by Marco Mazzaroppi dating from the late 16th /early 17th century) and other 17th / 18th century paintings. Sadly the church is not in a good state of repair due to the damp conditions and it is only open to the public during the festivities of the Madonna di Canneto.

Celebrations in the Church during the festival of the Madonna di Canneto.