photo © Louise Shapcott
Terelle in the Val di Comino
Terelle is perched on a rocky outcrop of Monte Cairo, at a height of 380 metres above sea level. It is situated between Cassino and the Val di Comino. The population now only numbers around 388 people, many of whom are elderly. These locals are known as Terellesi.
The first primitive fortress was built in 1117 by Count Pandolfo. The fortifications were destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries following both battles and earthquakes. The castle and manor house that we see today dates from the 13th century, and are situated at the highest point of the town. The castle had four towers, of which two are in fairly good condition.
The Napoleonic Cemetery
From 1799 the area was occupied by the French. During this time an imposing structure, Neoclassical style, was built in the area called the Castagneto. This was the Napoleonic Cemetery named San Egido. It was made of blocks of squared stone and beneath it was a vault where the bodies of the deceased were placed. This was according to a law that Napoleon had introduced regarding public hygiene and the regulation of burials. It decreed that each and every corpse must be buried in a cemetery outside of the town walls, within two days of death, thus not in the traditional church graveyards or crypts.
Churches of Terelle
Church of the Madonna Addolorata
The Church of the Madonna Addolorata is located in the centre of the village in Via Roma (Via Portella). The church has two stained glass windows, one of the Madonna Addolorata e the other of Gesù in Crocifisso.
Church of Santa Maria Assunta
The modern Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta is located in Via Portelle in Terelle.
Other churches include the Church of San Rocco, the Chiesa di San Vincenzo Ferreri and the Chapel of the Madonna e La Croce.
Website © Louise Shapcott 2017 – 2018 All Rights Reserved